Monday, January 29, 2007

Life in a box

It's been going round the blog traps, but I can't help mentioning it here as well: The Ad Generator creates fake advertisements from random images on flickr and sliced up bits of advertising jargon. If you're patient enough for the generator to plough through the chaff, there are some beauties in the juxtaposition of image and text.

But as I watched for that elusive single combination of image and text that screamed of great insight, to no avail, I realised it was about the whole exercise rather than any one image. I was captured, however, by the sheer ridiculousness of the language. Beauty in idiocy. Ad Generator's creator, Alexis Lloyd, says:
By remixing corporate slogans, I intend to show how the language of advertising is both deeply meaningful, in that it represents real cultural values and desires, and yet utterly meaningless in that these ideas have no relationship to the products being sold.
Found through Lawyers, Guns and Money and Barista. It's pretty ingenious.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At January 29, 2007 4:21 pm, Blogger unique_stephen said...

As a practicing atheist - i could believe in the last one.

 
At January 29, 2007 4:40 pm, Blogger Mark Lawrence said...

Gee, Steve, I didn't know it took much practice. Are there long chants, rituals and such involved? ;)

I do like how the food looks much like that lovely Aussie staple, the lamington. That's a religion all by its self.

 
At January 29, 2007 10:12 pm, Blogger phil said...

A mutual former workmate of your b-i-l and me (follow that?) sent me a wonderful contraption the other day - a periodic table of management analytical frameworks. It works equally as well as a genuine list of such beasts, and a ginormous pisstake. I'll send it to him, he can send it to you.

I also believe in food. In fact I believe in food rather than doof, the same way I believe in dog rather than god.

Whatever floats, etc etc etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home