Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Even in death must we have certainty

I can imagine it now: 'Is that, or isn't it, Uncle Willy's…?"

The University of New South Wales has had its licence for storing body parts revoked and "its surgery training has been disrupted", for "not complying with the requirements for the storage and labelling of body parts."

I remember when 'donating your body to science' was one of those rare but highly noteworthy acts. But I never really thought about what happens to the body after the scientists are done with it. It didn't really occur to me that they would take the body to bits! Let alone putting it all back together again! What was I [not] thinking?

"It's important when the period of use is finished that the body can be disposed of again as as person," said the anatomy inspector for south-eastern Sydney Health, Dr Mark Pherson. (Wow, I didn't even know they still had such job titles!)

Let's just hope that the end-of-year anatomy finals at UNSW are over.

[Image from Wikipedia]

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 28, 2006 4:05 pm, Blogger unique_stephen said...

We posted on the same topic - yours is better tho

 
At February 07, 2007 12:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm a second year med student at UNSW. Man, I hope our anatomy classes aren't going to be disrupted! 'Necrophiliac uni' as some of my friends are calling it....ain't proud of that one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home